Saturday, March 20, 2010

Oracle 11g 64-Bit on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit

This day morning I upgraded my existing 64 bit vista ultimate install. That way I already had Oracle loaded and just needed to get it running.
It took several hours to do the upgrade. An install would probably have run much faster and I would have started off with a clean registry but I was afraid the Oracle installer would say it didn't recognize this version of windows and then I wouldn't be able to get it running (at least not without jumping through a bunch of hoops).
The install, while taking a long time, was flawless at the end. I had to uninstall skype and powershell because of incompatibilities. Skype was a recommendation but powershell was required. Considering the vast amount of software I have installed, I am surprised that is all I had to remove.

I had a few issues with TNS at first but I was able to fix that by fixing my hosts file. After that, the database is running fine (as you can see in the screenshot above). I created a few objects and ran a few queries and everything is hunky dory.
I did get a warning message when running SQL Developer:

Nothing I can't live with. I'm not sure if that is just a Java issue or something with SQL Developer specifically. I plan to play with it some more this afternoon to find out.
So far, I haven't found the OS to be that much different than vista. Some user tweaks in UAC. You can set the screen resolution with a single menu click now. It does feel quite a bit quicker response-wise though. I may just be psyching myself out on that though.
Rather than regurgitate a windows 7 feature list, go check out what Microsoft has to say on the issue.

I guess now it is off to play!

2 comments:

  1. I am assuming that you are studying so that you may one day work for Microsoft as a full time employee.

    Let me tell you something - I've witnessed this in action - Microsoft does not hire you if you are a thief. This includes stealing copyrighted material from other sites on the internet.

    Their background investigation is *very* thorough. Good luck with getting a job there if they find out you have stolen content.

    I would recommend you remove all copyrighted content from your site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. Oracle and Win7 does not mix, But is needed. On my office we have oracle 6 and we stay away from 7. But I Love it. How was done, to load the database?

    Since the vitual pc with xp mode, will not work with profecional.

    Is not fare the upgrade.

    ReplyDelete